The East Fishkill Historical Society was founded in 1960 by a group of local people dedicated to recording and preserving the town's history. The New York State Board of Regents granted a permanent charter to the society in March 1966. During the society's early years meetings were held in members' homes and at the Town Hall. In 1975 Gustav Fink bought the 217 acres farm off Palen Road, Hopewell Junction and donated the 1750/1785 Dutch style farmhouse with 3½ acres of land to the historical society. The farmhouse was in poor condition and it took several years of volunteer labor to restore the building to pristine condition. The rooms are now fitted with furniture, artifacts and pictures loaned or donated by many local people.
One room has been converted into a library and contains books and documents that are available for research, by appointment. In 1984 when IBM expanded its manufacturing facility along Route 52, it dismantled and moved the carriage barn from the Theodorus Van Wyck house, rented by John Jay during the revolutionary War, and erected it at the historic site. The barn now contains a collection of sleighs, carriages and a farm wagon. These horse drawn vehicles were used for transportation by town residents well into the early twentieth century.
A one room schoolhouse, built in 1820 and due to be demolished, was taken down with each piece numbered and rebuilt at the historical society's compound. It is now the centerpiece for school programs.
Drawings of these three buildings are contained in this coloring book as well as other examples of historically interesting buildings, which reflect the life and times of earlier residents of the town. We hope that you will enjoy coloring the outlines and at the same time discovering more about the buildings.
To learn more about the Historical Society and see interviews with long
time residents go to the society's web site:
Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union
for sponsoring the publication of this book.